Sunday, May 8, 2011

God Gives Hope for Happiness


Many times I hear people say....I just want to be happy that's all. They want to be happy in their jobs, their marriage, or just life in general. In fact, it is what everyone is in search of but not everyone finds. Of course, Psychologists say that people need three things to make them happy. First of all they need something to do. Secondly, they need something to love. Finally, they need something to look forward to. I think Scripture agrees with this. However, to be truly happy and satisfied we must make sure that we are doing the right thing, loving the right thing, and looking forward to the right thing. The passages before us, John 14: 1-21, as well as many others in Scripture show us what to do, what to love and what to look forward to.


Reading of God's Word:

1 “Don’t be troubled. Believe in God, and believe in me.2 My Father’s house has many rooms. If that were not true, would I have told you that I’m going to prepare a place for you?3 If I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again. Then I will bring you into my presence so that you will be where I am.
4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you’re going. So how can we know the way?”6 Jesus answered him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one goes to the Father except through me.
7 If you have known me, you will also know my Father. From now on you know him through me and have seen him in me.”8 Philip said to Jesus, “Lord, show us the Father, and that will satisfy us.”9 Jesus replied, “I have been with all of you for a long time. Don’t you know me yet, Philip? The person who has seen me has seen the Father. So how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? What I’m telling you doesn’t come from me. The Father, who lives in me, does what he wants.
11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and that the Father is in me. Otherwise, believe me because of the things I do.12 “I can guarantee this truth: Those who believe in me will do the things that I am doing. They will do even greater things because I am going to the Father.13 I will do anything you ask the Father in my name so that the Father will be given glory because of the Son.
14 If you ask me to do something, I will do it.15 “If you love me, you will obey my commandments.16 I will ask the Father, and he will give you another helper who will be with you forever.
17 That helper is the Spirit of Truth. The world cannot accept him, because it doesn’t see or know him. You know him, because he lives with you and will be in you.18 “I will not leave you all alone. I will come back to you.19 In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. You will live because I live.20 On that day you will know that I am in my Father and that you are in me and that I am in you.
21 Whoever knows and obeys my commandments is the person who loves me. Those who love me will have my Father’s love, and I, too, will love them and show myself to them.”


Everyone needs and wants something to do! There are a lot of things that we can do to make us happy, but if there is one thing we fail to do we will never be satisfied! Jesus Christ gives us what we need to do to find true satisfaction which will lead not only to happiness but joy unspeakable and full of glory!
 Apart from a trust and faith in Christ no one will ever find true joy or satisfaction! We must have confidence in Him as our Lord and Savior.

Jesus let’s us know that after we believe in Him there is still something to do--WORK
You and I have the privilege to be servants and ambassadors of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords! Telling others about Jesus involves work. Training and discipling Christians takes work. Raising and nurturing our children takes work. Working for the Lord is not a burden, but it is a blessing! We have the opportunity to make an eternal and spiritual difference in mankind! We also have the wonderful privilege to ask from Christ. When we ask things in His name and in His will He will fulfill those requests! Asking in Christ’s name means that we would ask what He would ask, and what would bring glory to Him.You can’t properly ask in His name without knowing His nature. He will provide for us everything that we need that pertains to life and godliness! He will give us the tools necessary to accomplish His purposes!

Christ has given us many commands to obey. He has told us to live holy lives. He has told us to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, but do it even more so as we see the day approaching. He has told us to preach the Gospel to every creature. He has told us to provoke one another to love and good works. He has told us to build one another up. He has told us to glorify Him.

To be happy we must have something to do. We will do what we think will make us happy. The reason some do more physical things than spiritual is because they think the physical will bring more happiness. However the physical things we do are only temporary and will fade away; our happiness will fade right along with it. We need to do the spiritual: pray, witness attend church, etc.

Not only does everyone need something to do, but everyone needs something to love! Some are in love with money to try to find happiness, but the love of money is the root of all evil and many have pierced themselves through with many sorrows going after it. Some are in love with things to try to find happiness. But they find that things will never satisfy. Jesus said that the 2 greatest commandments involved love! We are to love God with all of our heart, all of our soul and with all of our mind! We are to love our neighbor as our self! An individual that is not in love with God and not in love with his neighbor is an individual who does know about true happiness!


Our Love for God Produces Obedience! Don’t sing Oh, how I love Jesus and live in disobedience to Him! We show Christ how much we love Him, by how much we obey Him. Jesus stresses over and over again in these verses that those that truly love Him, are those that live their lives according to His will. They love Him so much that they realize that He has their best interest at heart and are willing to SURRENDER to His will!  If we love God we will also love those He has made, those created in His image!

God’s Love for us Produces Comfort & Communion. He let His disciples know that He would send them and us the Comforter. The Holy Spirit lives in our hearts to: comfort us, convict us, and to encourage us. What wonderful words Jesus shares with His disciples and words of great comfort for us as well. We are in Him and He is in us! Jesus also tells us that His Father will love us, He will love us and He will manifest Himself to us! Christ loves us and shows Himself to us in His Word and through His Spirit. What wonderful news that we can have something to love; someone to love that loves us more than anything or anyone else could! Money doesn’t love us, things do not love us, immorality doesn’t love us! God does!

Something to Look Forward To. Not only does everyone need something to do, someone to love, but everyone also needs something to look forward to! Do you want to be truly Happy?
Find something to do--Trust in Jesus as your Savior and get busy for Him
Find someone to love--Love God with all your heart, soul and mind, and love your neighbor as yourself.
Find something to look forward to--Look forward to Christ’s return, and spending eternity with Him!


Happiness is only a moment away for everyone. Let us all work for the good of Christ and be happy in him! Show kindness and love to everyone and the world here on earth will be a happier, more peaceful place for us all.

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment