Sunday, June 12, 2011

Encourage Others-- It's Our Christian Duty



One of the highest of human duties is the duty of encouragement. It is easy to pour cold water on their enthusiasm; it is easy to discourage others. The world is full of discouragers. We have a Christian duty to encourage one another. Many a time a word of praise or thanks or appreciation or cheer has kept a man on his feet. Jesus certainly knew how to encourage others! Think about the time the disciples were caught in the middle of the Sea of Galilee during a fierce storm. Just when they were ready to give up, Jesus came alongside their boat and said, "Take courage, it is I!" Just before His death, Jesus spent a great deal of time encouraging His disciples.

What are the marks of people with the gift of encouragement? They are people who are willing to get involved with other people’s problems and heartaches. They are good listeners. Encouragers are sensitive to other people’s needs. Those who encourage others will offer forgiveness to those who need to make a new start. If you have the gift of encouragement, use it. Write someone a letter, visit the sick, pat someone on the back, sit with the bereaved, share your money, be a good listener, and be available to others.


VERSE

The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life. The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time on and forevermore. PSALM 121: 7-8.

PRAYER

Dear Lord, I want the encouragement I get from you to go through me to others I love and ones I don't know. Show me how to pray for them, Lord, that they might receive so much of your heavenly encouragement that their cups are overflowing! Teach me to respect each person I love for who they are in your eyes, Lord. And may all my prayers for them be a great encouragement to them. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment